The Specific Goals of Friends of the Jordan are to:
- Preserve the natural character of the river and its watershed.
- Inform and educate the public about FOJ's activities and issues
involving the Jordan River Watershed.
- Protect the water quality throughout the watershed.
- Develop financial resources to carry out FOJ's mission, goals,
- Promote wise resource management on public and private lands
within the watershed.
- Facilitate the coordination of the policies and actions of the various individuals, groups, and agencies affecting the environment within the watershed.
- Pursue broad-based support for FOJ's activities.
A Stewardship Strategy
There has long been awareness of the fragility of the Jordan River ecosystem. Yet, this fragile watershed ecosystem still faces many dangers. Soil erosion from past and present abuses continues to fill the streambeds with "sand bedload". Unplanned development, incompatible uses, overuse, exotic species, and forest fragmentation all threaten this pristine habitat. As a result, renewed stewardship efforts, incorporating the principles of ecosystem management, are building.